Health, counselling and support services
Who needs a blue card?
A person seeking to operate a business needs a blue card if the usual activities of the business include, or are likely to include, providing:
- health services to a child which require physical contact, or which are provided while no one else is physically present, or
- counselling services to a child while no one else is physically present, or where the person providing the service is not physically present with the child, or
- support services to a child while no one else is physically present, or where the person providing the service is not physically present with the child, or
- a service at a child-related service outlet of a funded non-government service provider or an NDIS non-government service provider.
unless an exemption applies.
Police officers and registered teachers do not apply for a blue card and should instead apply for an exemption card under this category if they are providing child-related services which are outside of their professional duties. Read more about applying for an exemption card (PDF, 231KB).
Find out more about the application process for disability service providers (PDF, 287KB)
Examples of people who need a blue card...
- A massage therapist operating a business providing massage for children
- A self employed children’s counsellor
- A person operating a business providing emotional support for children over the internet or by telephone, or
- Executive officers of a children’s health clinic.
Who doesn't need a blue card?
There are certain people who do not require a blue card under this category, including:
- Registered health practitioners, if the work they are doing relates to their function as a registered health practitioner, or
- A person operating a business if the business is a licensed care service (note - a person operating a licensed care service is screened under Businesses relating to licensed care services under the Child Protection Act 1999 category).
If you require a blue or exemption card under this category you will need to complete and submit an application form.
Last Updated: 29 June, 2018