Private teaching, coaching or tutoring
Who needs a blue card?
A person seeking to operate a business needs a blue card if the usual activities of the business include, or are likely to include, private teaching, coaching or tutoring one, or more than one, child, on a commercial basis, unless an exemption applies.
Police officers and registered teachers do not apply for a blue card and should instead apply for an exemption card under this category if they are providing child-related services which are outside of their professional duties. Read more about applying for an exemption card (PDF, 231KB).
Find out more about the application process for disability service providers (PDF, 287KB)
Examples of people who need a blue card under this category...
- A person operating a business providing educational classes or coaching children, or
- An owner of a tutoring business.
Who doesn't need a blue card?
There are certain people who do not require a blue card under this category, including:
- Operators of a business conducted by an education provider, such as a university, TAFE or registered training organisation, and
- Registered health practitioners, if the work they are doing with children and young people relates to their function as a registered health practitioner.
Examples of people who don't need a blue card...
- A person operating a business providing educational classes to the general public unless they provide specific instructions to a child or more than one child.
If you require a blue or exemption card under this category you will need to complete and submit an application form.
Last Updated: 30 June, 2014