Sport and active recreation activities
Who needs a blue card?
A person seeking to operate a business needs a blue card if the usual activities of the business include, or are likely to include providing sport and active recreation activities directed mainly towards children, or involving children, unless an exemption applies.
Police officers and registered teachers do not apply for a blue card and should instead apply for an exemption card under this category if they are providing child-related services which are outside of their professional duties. Read more about applying for an exemption card (PDF, 231KB).
Find out more about the application process for disability service providers (PDF, 287KB)
Examples of people who need a blue card...
- Operators of businesses providing sport or recreation based camps or clinics for children, or
- Executive officers of a corporation that operates a business providing sport activities for children.
Who doesn't need a blue card?
There are certain people who do not require a blue card under this category, including:
- Registered health practitioners, if the work they are doing with children and young people relates to their function as a registered health practitioner
- Operators of a business at an amusement park, and
- Operators of a business where the activities are conducted by a church, club, association or similar entity.
If you require a blue or exemption card under this category you will need to complete and submit an application form.
Last Updated: 30 June, 2014