When do I need to apply?
If you are a person seeking to or operating a business, you will require a blue card before you can commence providing regulated child-related services.
If you are a registered teacher or police officer who is proposing to operate a regulated business, you can commence the business operations once you have lodged a completed exemption card application with Blue Card Services.
Please note, if you are a director of non-state school's governing body, or an authorised person, you are required to hold a blue card or an exemption card before you can commence work as a director or authorised person.
If you employ other people in your business to provide regulated child-related services, the following rules apply to your staff (including volunteers and trainee students):
- Paid employees can commence work once they have lodged an application with Blue Card Services and while their application is being processed
- Volunteers and trainee students must hold a valid blue card before they can commence regulated work, and
- Registered teachers and police officers can commence providing regulated child-related services once they have lodged an exemption card application with Blue Card Services and while their application is being processed.
Find out more information about your obligations if you engage employees, volunteers or trainee students to work for your business in regulated employment.
How long will it take?
As a guide, you should allow at least 28 business days for your application to be processed.
Applications will take longer to process if:
- forms are incomplete or not correctly filled in. Please ensure each part of the form is filled in by the appropriate person and completed correctly, or
- there is police or disciplinary information about an applicant that must be retrieved and considered before determining a person's eligibility to work with children.
When should I renew my blue card?
Business operators may continue their regulated child-related business while their renewal application is being processed as long as they submit a renewal form at least 30 days before their current blue card expires.
Blue Card Services will send a reminder to renew your card 10 weeks prior to the expiry of their current card. You must advise Blue Card Services of any change to your postal address.
Please note, exemption cards have no expiry date and remain valid as long as the person is a registered teacher or police officer.
If you need to renew your blue card you will need to complete and submit the appropriate application form.
Last Updated: 30 June, 2014