Education programs conducted outside of school
Who needs a blue card?
Paid employees need a blue card if their work at a school includes, or is likely to include, providing services directed mainly towards children, or conducting activities that mainly involve children, as part of:
- an alternative education program to allow a student who has been suspended or excluded to continue his or her education under sections 286(2), 291 or 304 of the Education (General Provisions) Act 2006, or
- an alternative education program to allow flexible arrangements for a student, instead of the student taking part in the school’s educational programs in the usual way, under sections 182 or 183 of the Education (General Provisions) Act 2006
for at least:
- eight consecutive days, or
- once a week, each week, over four weeks, or
- once a fortnight, each fortnight, over eight weeks, or
- once a month, each month, over six months
unless an exemption applies.
Police officers and registered teachers do not apply for a blue card and should instead apply for an exemption card under this category if they are providing child-related services which are outside of their professional duties. Read more about applying for an exemption card (PDF, 231KB).
Find out more about the application process for disability service providers (PDF, 287KB)
If you are a state government employee there are specific application forms which can be obtained from your Department's HR or Screening area.
Who doesn't need a blue card?
There are certain people who are exempt and do not require a blue card under this category, including:
- Registered teachers will not require a blue card or an exemption card if they are an employee of a:
- state school
- non-state school
- higher education entity, or
- TAFE institute, statutory TAFE institute or registered training organisation, and
- Registered health practitioners, if the work they are doing with children and young people relates to their function as a registered health practitioner.
If you require a blue or exemption card under this category you will need to complete and submit an application form.
Last Updated: 30 June, 2014