Sport and active recreation
Who needs a blue card?
Paid employees need a blue card if their work in sport or active recreation includes, or is likely to include, providing services that are directed mainly towards children, or conducting activities that mainly involve children, for at least:
- eight consecutive days, or
- once a week, each week, over four weeks, or
- once a fortnight, each fortnight, over eight weeks, or
- once a month, each month, over six months
unless an exemption applies.
Paid employees who work with a church, club or association may need a blue card and may apply under the 'Churches, clubs and associations involving children' category of regulated employment.
Police officers and registered teachers do not apply for a blue card and should instead apply for an exemption card under this category if they are providing child-related services which are outside of their professional duties. Read more about applying for an exemption card (PDF, 231KB).
Find out more about the application process for disability service providers (PDF, 287KB)
If you are a state government employee there are specific application forms which can be obtained from your Department's HR or Screening area.
Examples of people who need a blue card...
- Paid employees running sporting or recreational activities for children outside of a church, club or association
- Paid entertainers running games and activities with children at birthday parties, or
- Paid photographers taking photographs of children at a sporting event.
Who doesn't need a blue card?
There are certain people who do not require a blue card under this category, including:
- People who work at amusement parks, and
- Registered health practitioners, if the work they are doing with children and young people relates to their function as a registered health practitioner.
Examples of people who don't need a blue card...
- An entertainer performing for children, but not interacting with them, in shopping centres
- Paid employees running stalls or activities at an amusement park, or
- Entertainers performing for children, but not interacting with them.
If you require a blue or exemption card under this category you will need to complete and submit an application form.
Last Updated: 30 June, 2014